A blog about my adventures as a teacher and a traveler.
At the moment, my focus is on two trips to the village of Pommern, Tanzania,
in Africa with the organization Global Volunteers -- one in 2010 and one in 2012.



Friday, May 7, 2010

Creature of Comfort

I am a creature of comfort. I love my house, my bed, my American food, my air conditioning, and so on. Tanzania will be a time to get away from this dependency, and while I know I will go right back to my comfort items when I return, it's also a reminder of how happy one can be without such things.

When I went to Africa four years ago, we camped our way through Namibia for two weeks. Never one to enjoy "roughing it," I was pretty nervous about the experience. Turned out to be an amazing way to experience the country. Then there was the opportunity to see how happy the people were in general, despite having so little compared to our "comfortable" American standards.

I'm looking forward to repeating the experience of enjoying life for the purpose of life itself. You know, gaining insight and knowledge and memories to last forever. Not worrying about the little things or the material things. Just savoring the moment, the people, and the learning. Amen!

PS: Did you know that the word "amen" means "may it be so"? I learned that at camp a few years ago. Maybe you learned something today, too!


Happiness: Children dancing in the street in one of the Cape Town, South Africa, townships

No comments: